Lewis and Clark Monument at the Katy Trailhead Plaza
A Lewis and Clark monument next to the Missouri State Capitol in Jefferson City, officially called the Lewis and Clark Monument at the Katy Trailhead Plaza, is completed after several months of work. Jefferson City now has another site to recognize its connection to Lewis and Clark. The monument is near the corner of Jefferson Street and Capitol Avenue on the capitol grounds overlooking the Jefferson Landing Historic Site and the Missouri River. Dedicated on June 4, the plaza includes Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, York (Clark’s man-servant), George Druillard (French-Canadian-Shawnee hunter and interpreter) and Seaman (Lewis’ Newfoundland dog). Besides these main characters, items such as a journal, telescope, guns and hats are portrayed within the monument. The sculpture commemorates the date of June 4, 1804 when the Corps of Discovery encamped in the area, which eventually became the state capitol. This trailhead and monument will connect the Katy Trail to the capitol and the greenway trail network once the Missouri River Pedestrian Bridge is completed.